Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Our Chunky Baby

Wow - Sara is one month old today! Andy and I can't believe it's already been a month since she was born - she'll probably be 15 tomorrow and we won't know what happened.

We just got back from the doctor and quick meal at the local IHOP and thought we'd give a quick update on how things went. I thought Sara would be somewhere around 8 1/2 pounds since I could tell she was getting heavier and knew she was eating well. Andy thought she would be 9 pounds just from how heavy she felt. Well, we were both underestimating our little chunky baby....

Sara now weighs 9lbs 10oz!!! She is also now 21 1/4 inches long. This puts her in the 62% for weight and 55% for length.

I knew she was eating well but I am still shocked that she has gained so much weight. Dr. Gray says her weight gain is perfectly normal and is a good sign that she is healthy and happy with the breastmilk. So, we are happy parents.

Sara had to get one shot today for Hepatitis B, but this was much better than the heel prick she had to have last time. They had to prick her heel three times and squeeze on it for several minutes to get all the blood they needed for that, but this was a quick shot and went over much better. There was still screaming when the shot when in, but I was able to calm her down within a few minutes and she was off to sleep again in her carseat so we could get some breakfast. I'm not thinking next month's visit will be quite as nice since she will have to have four shots all at once, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

The doctor also told us that Sara is ready to start sleeping in her own bed now, so we will try to start the transition to her crib soon. I still feel a bit nervous not having her in the room with me, but I suppose there really isn't any difference in her bassinet and her crib. We have the baby monitor all charged up so we'll get to test that out too. I'm pretty sure I can hear her cry even without it, but hopefully the monitor will wake me up before she gets too upset and awake for a night feeding. If she'll go down in her crib, I'll start feeding her in the rocker in her room so she isn't dragged across the house and woken up at night. This will be good for her but not as fun for me since I've been able to stay in bed and feed her so far.

On another note, Andy and I found that there are some seriously scary people hanging out at the IHOP on a random Wednesday morning. Anytime I'm out in the middle of a weekday (hardly ever when not on maternity leave), I always wonder how there can be so many cars and people out and about. Doesn't most everyone else have to work too? Well, today I think we saw the type of crowd that isn't at work too - and there were a ton of kids out with these people - don't they need to be in school? It was a little disturbing for sure - be sure to check out your local IHOP sometime in the middle of a weekday and see for yourself :)

Happy Wednesday....

5 comments:

Trudy Tuck said...

You guys are doing great!! Almost 10 pounds and getting prettier by the day. She's changed since we saw her! Give her hugs and kisses from Granddaddy and Tru-Tru

Love to you all.

Katie said...

What a growing girl!!! I can't believe how much she's changed in just a few weeks. Can't wait to see you guys soon! :)

Lisa Riley said...

Hi Athons!! Kelsey told me about your blog this morning, so I came and got caught up on the Sara news! :) Looks like she's growing into quite the little young angel!

I miss having you on console! I'm glad that I could get my little "Val Fix" with the "There are some seriously scary people at the IHOP"... LOL. :)

Unknown said...

What a beauty!!!! And it is amazing how fast they grow. Be sure to take lots of pictures. Oh, and now that you have a child, you will really notice how many kids are not in school in the middle of the day any given day of the week. Most are supposed to be "home schooled", but how much schooling is going on if you are at IHOP on a Wed. mid morning. I love your blog. It is such a neat way to keep up with the changes Sara is going thru and I'm sure you will have a lot more for her baby book than I have for my girls'. Eric, the girls and I are so happy for you both and can't wait to see Sara in person.

Michael & Jennifer said...

GCar diaper changes and feedings, don't miss those. You know what is funny, Michael would always just want to throw the onesie or the clothes away that got dirty if we were away from home...
hilarious!!!!! Bless his heart, the whole house laughs until it hurts when Michael changes a dirty diaper (even Ty laughs), it is better than any comedy act, guarenteed! Sounds like you guys are having a blast with little Sara, she is beautiful!!