Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Crib Intervention

Hi Everyone! I thought I would take a minute to update the blog while Sara is sleeping. She's in her crib, so it probably won't last long! I swear this child would live in her swing if we would let her - other than to eat of course :)

Andy and I are torn every night with what to do with this child. She has only been waking us up once at night to eat, going 6-8 hours, but the catch is that she is sleeping in the swing. She's been staying awake a lot more during the day and subsequently gets cranky after her last feeding. By the time we get her to calm down and go to sleep, neither of us really want to test things by putting her down in the crib. We really want her to start sleeping in her own bed, but we are also loving the sleep we get when she's in that swing. I swear she doesn't make a peep in that thing until she's ready to eat again and then she goes right back to sleep in the thing for another 4-5 hours. How can we get her to do that in her crib?

I've been feeding her at 7pm every night since I started pumping then this weekend and so we're trying to make this her bedtime. She usually won't go to sleep until after 8 with her crankiness, but she isn't waking up to eat again until the middle of the night once she is down. Andy and I are going to try to start a bedtime ritual with feeding at 7pm, new diaper and outfit, and put her in a sleep sack to rock to sleep. We're hoping that she's old enough now to pick up on the routine and maybe get less fussy at this time of night and go to sleep easier.

As for the crib, I've been slowly trying to put her in there more often during the day. It's just as hard to do this "crib intervention" during the day because it means that I can't do anything else while I'm trying to get her to go down in there. She constantly starts to make noise and I have to go put her pacifier back in or stand there with my hands on her to calm her down again. When she does go to sleep in there, it usually only lasts for about 20-30 minutes at a time instead of her normal couple hours that she'll nap. I'm hoping that she'll start to get used to the crib this way though and will start sleeping for longer stretches in there. I keep thinking she'll eventually get tired enough to sleep for a full nap in there, but she apparently got her stubborness from her mother and has so far refused! Something will have to give eventually though because there's no swing at daycare and she'll have to get used to the crib they have there.

Other than our crib woes, Sara is continuing to do really good. She's really starting to smile and coo a lot and has even started to mimic some of the sounds we make when we talk to her. She loves going places and just stares at people like they are the most interesting thing in the world. We took her to the zoo for the first time this past weekend, but she ended up sleeping the whole time so we didn't get any pictures. It was still nice to walk around and we finally fit in there with our stroller since the zoo is stroller/baby central anytime we've been.

I put up some new pictures and videos the other day for those who haven't been to the site in a while. I'll try to get some more soon.

Well, the little one called me away hours ago and I just got a chance to put her down again to finish this up. I better post it now before she starts up again!

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for keeping us updated. We sure do miss you. I think about Sara's little smile. However, I hear her little 7:00 pm sessions in my mind also!! I love you very much. Grandpa